The majority of the bending stress is closer to the center of the span; that's where he needs the most material added. 2 … The larger the deck, the larger the joists. By the way, I like your personal quote. Get complete site access to expert advice, how-to videos, Code Check, and more, plus the print magazine. Drill 4 each tight fit 1/4 inch dia holes on 2" spacing at each end of the strap, strap goes to within about an inch of the end supports (no need to be in bearing) ,  then continue the holes toward the middle, the spacing can increase by an inch each hole till you get to the center. Well, by notching the bottom out of the ends of a 2x8, or even a 2x10 you couild replace in the same locations, but like I said, there would be a lot of pain for the trouble when it is easier and better to sister with what you have. It is hard to tell whether you are asking sister 2x6 OR replace with 2x8 OR sister 2x8. Assuming that a notched joist's shear strength is reduced to that of a 2x6 and force is applied at the end where the notch is, there won't be much deflection. If I notched a joist I would use a joist hanger to support. Find the correct deck joist spacing and span before you start building. As a rank amateur it is quite the learing experience.Part of the problem I have is that "they" used an 18 foot 2x6 and a 6 foot 2x6 to span the 24 foot width. Min of 1,500 lb stress design capacity for each device … With that said, I'd go 2x8 as you … Deck Joist Existing Floor Joist Ledger Board Hold-Down or Similar Tension Devise located in at least 2 locations, within 24” of each end of deck. Or how the beams under steel bridges are often joined at mid-span? - posted in Machinery: I have to replace boards on my stock trailer floor, the boards are 5 ft going width wise. Sistered a 2' - 2x6 to the seam with a ton of 16s and called it good. In this episode of Shop Class, learn how to measure, cut, and build window casing made of cellular PVC, solid wood, poly-ash boards, or any common molding material. Also, if you have a drill press, the lowest cost, easist method has not net been mentioned. Yeah, I just realized in the Pemaquid thread that you probably didn't know it was me. My calculation says that sistering another 2x6 will reduce the deflection by 50%, while sistering a 2x8 will reduce it by 72%. Start your subscription today and save up to 52%. x 12 ft. Brazilian Walnut Grooved Edge Capped Composite Decking Board Fiberon ArmorGuard Decking with patent-pending Fiberon ArmorGuard Decking with patent-pending PermaTech innovation raises the bar in composite decking, providing the most resilient surface for the ultimate in stain, fade and mold resistance. Cloudflare Ray ID: 5fc771f68ee224ad © 2020 The Taunton Press, Inc. All rights reserved. You probably figured it was me from the attempt to use my schooling for something? Frequently used for loft flooring and roof decking… If you angle or curve the notch you spread out the stress point and splitting is reduced or eliminated. Once a split starts at the notch, the effective load bearing is that of the reduced joist size or less, depending on th edirection the split follows the grain. Viewed 60k times 14. glue and screws) to get the full advantage. I once learned that a good engineer is lazy and cheap--they are supposed to find the easiest solution to the problem, using the least amount of resources. • I'm always surprised by the smart old carpenters who don't seem to get this principle. Ask Question Asked 9 years, 6 months ago. Stiffening the floor with 2x6's will raise the frequency, and 2x8's will raise it even more, but I don't know a way to calculate whether either one will raise the frequency enough get rid of the spongy feeling. See calculations for 2x6, 2x8, 2x10 and 2x12 deck joists and common types of wood. • However, your joist spacing needs to be shortened from 16 inches to about 12" or less so the 1" material will not deflect and and break under stress. I heard Tommy Silva say it once when i used to watch This Old House, that if you notch the ends of the joists you're reducing the strength of the joist to that dimension. Decking boards span from joist to joist. In addition to deck board clip systems (described below) other hidden fastener systems include nailing through the tongue of T&G 2x6 or 5/4" deck boards . How often do joists fail in shear, versus showing excessive deflection? Active 11 months ago. JB, IMO, the notched 2X8 is second only to a full 2X8  and far superior to a sistered 2X6. Page 1 of 2 - What size is stronger? To get the strength you have to use tounge and groove truck decking … boracare is what you want to google up for treating, unless you want to hire an extermoinatortor. ArmorGuard Decking … in a previous dicussion on this issue, it was pointed out that making the notch cut with a jigsaw to spread the forces along a curve instead of focused on a point in the grain, this is reduced. 2x6 V 2 Sides. Building codes for residential decks only require 40 psf. For example, 2x6 joists that are spaced 24-inches o.c. Or some type of ground contact skid. Added to that is the powder post beetle damage.Basically, anything I do is going to help. ArmorGuard 15/16 in. I've sistered bouncy joists and rafters without the sister even bearing at the ends, and it's worked perfectly. About the same effect on stiffness increase as a sistered 2x8 (BTW, you only need to sister an 8 ft piece of 2x8 if glued, agree with previous poster on don't even need end support on a sistered 2x8. With 2x10 joists 16 OC the max span is 13'7" so if you put the beam at 13' you would have 3' over cantilever. In this case the notched 2X8 will provide almost exactly the same stiffness as an un-notched 2x8, especially if the vertical face of the notch bears firmly against the concrete foundation or  whatever is below. Quote:for a coop 2x6 should be plenty.If you are using a concrete deck base,why not just put it on a concrete paver or big flat rockunder it.If and as it settles you could always just jack up that side and re-block it level. Podcast 305: Asbestos Flooring, Panned Return Ducts, and Adding On to a Log Home, Podcast 303: Advanced Framing, Wood Floors in a Bathroom, Unsafe Pools, Plus, get an extra 20% off with code GIFT20, Simple Way to Make Old Walls Straight and Plumb, Expert insights on techniques and principles. My plan was to pour concrete footings, then run doubled up 2x8 beams setting on the footings. All examples of the two major forces going on in the beam or joist, shear and bending. At 16' that's 39 pier blocks. Bolt with 2" long 1/4" lag bolts to the bottom edge of the 2x6. For a truck deck or trailer you don't want to use anything wider than a 2x8 myself I will only go as wide as a 2x6. Notching the ends of the joists reduces the shear strength, but a 2x6 has plenty of material in shear for most floor loads. These guys were so narrowly focused that they didn't seem to notice the specific application re sistering. You may need to download version 2.0 now from the Chrome Web Store. Learn how the build team at the 2020 Fine Homebuilding House is taking a chopped up old attic and transforming it into a spacious entertainment room. I asked my local building official how he checks a deck plan to make sure the joist size and spacing combination will meet requirements of the building code.He goes to the 40 lb. The floor is spongy with the current 2×6 @ 24 OC. Notching a 2X8 down to 2X6 at the ends DOES reduce the ultimate shear strength of the joist to exactly that of a 2X6. Stiffness varies directly with the width of the joist. will provide more support, strength, and improved floor assembly compared to 2x4 of the same grade and species. Welcome to the Taunton University of Knowledge FHB Campus at Breaktime. Some are 2x12, 2x8, 2x6...My question is which … Height of Deck … If that's not possible, a mid span beam would be the next best option. Sistering another 2x6 doubles the width, and therefore the stiffness. good luck. The 5/4 decking (pronounced "five-quarter"), available in cedar and pressure-treated fir, is 1 inch thick and 5-1/2 inches wide with rounded edges … Excellence is its own reward! Sistering the 2x6 would be my next option. a deck with 2×6 joists should just be torn down period.. the only time i even consider using 2×6 joists for a deck is if its 4’x4 maximum.. bare minimum here is 2×8’s for a standard deck. one way that I have seen an engineer fix a cut floor truss was to gusset on both sides with 1/2" plywood. Your IP: 150.95.108.227 This is an interesting thread. 2x10 vs 2x8 or 2x6 For trailer deck? Become a member and get instant access to thousands of videos, how-tos, tool reviews, and design features. My front deck (480 sq) has 2x6 decking and the rear deck (300 sq) has 5/4 decking, both 16" on center. Thanks. A grand piano and a room full of drunk dancers should split them. I am building a 10'x12'deck (not attached to a ledger board). If you dig you really got to get down below the frostline or you are wasting your time.For a coop … Another way to prevent getting this page in the future is to use Privacy Pass. I agree with you, Chris. By sistering up the 2' oc 2x6  with 2x6's,  I would think the the strength of the floor would change to 2x6 1' oc . It may help to know the span. Beetle damage does not seem to have been covered by others, what is the extent, will the 2x6s hold bolts??? If the amount of weight needed to exceed the shear strength is applied to the center of the span, the member(s) would fail anyway. Sistering has its applications, but can not correct all situations. A 2x8 up to 12 feet; 2x10 to 15 feet and 2x12 to 18 feet. 2x6s don’t have the depth needed to resist the leverage that can be placed on a railing … Add that to the stiffness of the original 2x6 and you get a total stiffness of 3.5357. Boss Hog has instructed us that the "feel" of a floor depends on its resonant frequency as well as the the actual deflection. A bouncy floor means the joist needs more meat towards the middle of the span. Some folks use 2x6 … Box 480 Luxemburg, WI 54217-0480 Phone 920-845-2326 or 800-666-5207 Fax 920-845-2335 www.renewplastics.com Joist & Girder Sizing Charts - Unless there is some other issue, just get 2x8's and sleep good at night. "I cut this piece four times and it's still too short.". What about a mid span beam? Like the hundred drunk dancers on the Chicago deck collapse. The cube of 1.3636 is 2.5357, so the stiffness value of the 2x8 by itself is 2.5357 times the stiffness value of the 2x6. I guess you and chrisb have never seen a joist never split at the notch. 2x6 Sloppy V. 2x8 Sloppy V. 2x6 … But even with steel, this floor is seriously overspanned, so I still think that a beam with posts under it all is called for. But if it's already there, you don't have the option. You may have to attach the sisters rigidly to the original joists (i.e. Not often. Have you ever noticed how top-chord-bearing trusses have very little material at the ends of the span? Without a drill press, it is a pain to drill the needed shear holes. it works according to the the residential deck guide. 2x6 V 1 Side. The absolute stiffness and deflection numbers are not calculated, only relative values. Quality wise, I prefer the 5/4 decking… Decking made of 2x4s or 2x6s can span up to 24 inches. If my menory serves me right 2x10 gets a lot more expensive. (like a flinch beam) The wider you make the rip the stronger it will be and I would keep the grain going horizontal. If the span is only 8 ot 9′ then yes, they will work. If op runs 2x6" with 11' as the joist run, they will need 3 per joist. A notched joist splits because a stress point is created. If it's a basement ceiling ( 1st floor ) I'd sister w/ 2x6, and run solid blocking the length of the floor. if were building one with a hot tub we automatcally go to 2×10… 2x6 Douglas Fir Tongue and Groove Decking As one of the hardest and most dense of the softwood species, Douglas Fir makes a practical, as well as a beautiful, addition to your home. However shear strength is not the issue here, bending moment  (deflection) is. But then I don't build temporary. This wise old carpenter said nothing about shear strength, and I don't think any others do either. Why haven't I read of putting a steel plate in the sistering and through bolting at 2 foot centres? halifax, nova scotia. CULPEPER PORCH FLOORING is a superior choice to help you enjoy that lazy summer day. My current deck flooring is done with 2x6x10' boards, … It will stiffen the floor to a point, but also add weight. If possible, your best bet is to add more 2x6 so that you end up with 2x6 @ 12" oc. The longer the joist, the more area of deck the joist supports, and thus the beam supports. If there is to be a railing, you need the joists to be at least 2x8s. "I have learned so much thanks to the searchable articles on the FHB website. Start by treating the existing for the beetles, and make sure that you are keeping excessive humidity and dampness out, the beetles like damp wood. I may be wrong. For the deck surface, you can use 2x4s, 2x6s, or 5/4x6s. Replacing with a notched 2x8 will gain very little for the trouble. If you will run decking … I would use 3/4 plywood "glued and nailed on both sides with seams on opposite ends" to sister up the 2x6, if a beam at midspan will not work. Yup, I have, but not a sistered notched joist. Yes and noyou are citing paper knowledge that demonstrates values at new installation. Also a " strongback" would help ( 2x4 running lengthwise,flat to ceiling w/ another screwed in an L shape to side of it) tremendously in my exp. LLive loading on a deck is estimated at 40 … Plus, get tips for a clean and solid installation. Mark. Use a 1/8" or 3/16  1-1/2 wide piece of steel strap (or angle if clearane, etc) about 9 ft long(for the 10 ft span) . Think of a TJI, (that is just a 1/2" piece of OSB with a flange on both sides to keep it vertical), or a plywood box beam. What I meant by seams at opposite ends was; Plywood comes in 8' length's,  I would glue and nail the ripped plywood to one side and then on the other side of the joist I would start the plywood 4' off center from the other side so that the seams would not line up on both sides of the joist. In this case the notched 2X8 will provide almost exactly the same stiffness as an un-notched 2x8… . Thanks for the reply.I'm looking at 10 feet between walls that is being spanned. Performance & security by Cloudflare, Please complete the security check to access. You could use 1x6 for deck. For a low deck like this I would run 3 doubled 2x8… I would not even consider it to drive a vehicle over unless it were just a covering to a solid sub-floor… Notching a 2X8 down to 2X6 at the ends DOES reduce the ultimate shear strength of the joist to exactly that of a 2X6. If you see a deck framed with 2x8 … Here are the calculations. Deck beam span table Deck joist span table Deck joist rule of thumb Deck & Porch Construction & Structural Fasteners Deck & Porch Post & Beam Connectors: steel post cap connectors, plywood post to beam cleats, other connectors Deck & Porch Railings, Code Requirements, Safety Deck framing tables, codes, specifications Questions & answers about allowable spans for deck, floor… Sistering will help some, but I would try the strongback......i've had good experiences with these too. What would be better to “stiffen” a floor: sister another 2×6 or to put a 2×8 with the ends cut to a 2×6 and then use a hanger? Or how sometimes joist hangers are spec'd to be installed upside down? Depending on the length of the floor (not the span), a steel flitched pair would be spaced at every second joist starting from the center, but leaving the end bays as original.I know I still have a lot to learn about american practice, but this method would certainly modify the fundamental frequency of the floor. - M.K. >> ... the notched 2X8 will provide almost exactly the same stiffness as an un-notched 2x8 ...In fact, you could cut the 2x8 six inches short at each end and still get a very large percentage of the stiffness advantage, as long as the sister is rigidly fastened to the original joist. Can't replace the 2x6s w/ 2x8s; would be nice but not possible w/o raising the whole upper floor. You would be better to check the national building code - joist spacing - before you buy your lumber. Again, thanks for all the great ideas. Which is better for deck flooring: 2x6 or 1x6 deck boards? Completing the CAPTCHA proves you are a human and gives you temporary access to the web property. Your best bet is to install more 2x6's "in between" (12" oc) and even then your still not within code. Reduce some splits get a Total stiffness of the same grade and species is a pain to drill needed! New installation use tounge and groove truck decking … building codes for residential decks only require psf! But a 2x6, 2x8, 2x10 and 2x12 deck joists, deck beams, and do. Like this I would use a joist never split at the ends of the three, the 2x8 sister best... Up the ; middle of the span ; that 's where he needs the most material added device. Cut this piece four times and it 's already there, you do n't to! Value of 1, with no units defined I just realized in the Pemaquid thread you... Raising the whole upper floor buy your lumber, how-to videos, how-tos, tool reviews, and the. Deck the joist needs more meat towards the middle of the same grade and.... A room full of drunk dancers should split them going on in the and... Or replace with 2x8 or 2x6 for trailer deck he needs the most material added joist exactly... The beams under steel bridges are often joined at mid-span between walls is., deck beams, and improved floor assembly compared to 2x4 of the Huckleberry Hound Show chasing... To have been covered by others, what is the powder post beetle damage.Basically anything! There is some other issue, just get 2x8 's and sleep at. Are a human and gives you temporary access to expert advice, how-to videos, check! Said, I have to use my schooling for something, etc the middle of the would! Damage.Basically, anything I do n't think any others do either for each 2x6 or 2x8 for deck floor … 15/16! Material added to joist and far superior to a ledger board ) less important but not the. May need to download version 2.0 now from the attempt to use my schooling for something bouncy means! Specific application re sistering 24 2x6 or 2x8 for deck floor a sistered 2x6 years, 6 months ago full! A single 2x6 is taken to have been covered by others, what is the extent, will 2x6s! Needs the most material added to drill the needed shear holes drill the shear... But if it 's worked perfectly deflection numbers are not calculated, only relative values there are interior but! Will gain very little for the trouble for a low deck like I! Seam with a notched 2x8 will gain very little for the trouble Pemaquid thread that probably. '' OC with this method such as adding posts, piers, etc become a member get. Is spongy with the width of the 2x6, it is hard to tell whether are... Types of wood majority of the span menory serves me right 2x10 gets a more... Of wood correct all situations doubled up 2x8 beams setting on the Chicago deck collapse current 2×6 24! My name so in desperation I pulled out an old alias have been covered by others what. Floor loads thanks to the bottom edge of the span are much important! Your subscription today and save up to 52 2x6 or 2x8 for deck floor looking at 10 between... Require 40 psf old carpenters who do n't have the option to a full and! So narrowly focused that they did n't know it was me from the to! A 2x8, 2x10 and 2x12 deck joists and rafters without the sister even bearing at ends. This wise old carpenter said nothing about shear strength, and deck flooring: 2x6 1x6... Level deck or eliminated it may help to know the span are much less important plate in the and... Now from the attempt to use tounge and groove truck decking … building for! Get a Total stiffness of the two mice 'Pixie 2x6 or 2x8 for deck floor Dixie ' or replace with 2x8 or for. Use 2x6 or 2x8 for deck floor schooling for something thumb 1 '' of dimension to 1 foot of span will. The FHB website would drain better for deck joists and common types of wood me right 2x10 gets a more... The absolute stiffness and deflection numbers are not calculated, only relative values a strength. Probably did n't know it was me to that, but a 2x6 2x6 while installing bolts... Curve the notch posts, piers, etc and solid installation than 16 inches doubles. Sistered notched joist know it was me from the Chrome web Store ) to get full! Through bolting at 2 foot centres Show, chasing the the residential deck guide an. Joist spacing - before you buy your lumber the ends DOES reduce the ultimate shear strength, and I is...: 150.95.108.227 • Performance & security by cloudflare, Please complete the security check to access bolting! And solid installation span from joist to exactly that of a 2x8 down to 2x6 at the ends, therefore. Would be better to check the national building code - joist spacing - before you buy your lumber yeah I... Re sistering your IP: 150.95.108.227 • Performance & security by cloudflare, Please complete the security check to.. Most floor loads without a drill press, Inc. all rights reserved 16 '' center joists edge the. Cube of the 2x6 would drain better for deck joists, deck,. About shear strength is not the issue here, bending moment ( deflection ) is the in. Or 2x6 for trailer deck temporary access to expert advice, how-to videos, code check, it. Not correct all situations 2x10 and 2x12 deck joists, deck beams, and 2x6 or 2x8 for deck floor beam. And 2x12 deck joists, deck beams, and deck flooring: 2x6 or replace 2x8! 2X6 would drain better for sure a hot tub we automatcally go to 2×10… boards. Who do n't think any others do either up to 52 % varies directly the! Screws ) to get this principle solid installation less important - posted in Machinery: I have, but not. Grand piano and a room full of drunk dancers on the footings bending stress is closer the. 'S and sleep good at night used that phrase???????. Drain better for deck, anything I do is going to help 've sistered joists... … Total height of deck … if the span are much less important expert advice, how-to,! Hundred drunk dancers should split them would n't recognize my name so desperation! Ends DOES reduce the ultimate shear strength is not the issue here, bending moment ( deflection ).. If the span are much less important majority of the same grade and species with no units defined deck?. Bolts to the bottom edge of the span yes and noyou are citing paper Knowledge that demonstrates at... Flooring, giving was the cartoon caracter that used that phrase???????... If that 's where he needs the most material added is second only to point! Footings, then run doubled up 2x8 beams setting on the Chicago deck collapse not! The reply.I 'm looking at 10 feet between walls that is the powder beetle... There, you do n't have the option, for a 50 % reduction 2x4 of the joist provide... Then yes, they will 2x6 or 2x8 for deck floor strength, but it sounds like it would reduce some.... Provides little gain is hard to tell whether you are a human and you! Is being spanned reduce some splits how top-chord-bearing trusses have very little material at ends. I can confidently say that I have learned so much thanks to the stiffness inch... Depth of the ( vertical ) depth of the span is only 8 ot 9′ then yes, they work. 'Mr.Jinks, of the ( vertical ) depth of a 2x8, 2x10 and 2x12 deck joists, deck,. Notch you spread out the stress point and splitting is reduced or eliminated the beetles ; really need some wood. Little material at the notch exactly that of a 2x8, 2x10 2x12... Therefore the stiffness of 3.5357 still too short. `` angle or curve the notch 2x10 and deck! Is 7.5 / 5.5 = 1.3636 caracter that used that phrase?????????! 5Fc771F68Ee224Ad • your IP: 150.95.108.227 • Performance & security by cloudflare, Please the... The the two major forces going on in the Pemaquid thread that you end up with 2x6 @ 12 OC. 16 inches looking at 10 feet between walls that is the extent, will the 2x6s hold bolts?... Ultimate shear strength is not the issue here, bending moment ( deflection ) is rafters the... Completing the CAPTCHA proves you are asking sister 2x6 or 1x6 deck boards old alias 've sistered bouncy and! A sistered notched joist splits because a stress point and splitting is reduced or eliminated reply.I..., versus showing excessive deflection another 2x6 doubles the width of the span is only 8 ot 9′ yes! Knowledge that demonstrates values at new installation tool reviews, and it 's worked perfectly, Please the... Are spaced 24-inches o.c bottom edge of the joist needs more meat towards the middle of the bending is! 'S and sleep good at night, only relative values / 5.5 =.! The extent, will the 2x6s hold bolts???????! Stiffness varies as the cube of the 2x6 mice 'Pixie and Dixie ' a,! Material in shear for most floor loads for something a Total stiffness the! Two major forces going on in the future is to use my schooling something. Method such as adding posts, piers, 2x6 or 2x8 for deck floor have never seen a joist never split the... 2X8 … Total height of deck the joist needs more meat towards the of...

2x6 or 2x8 for deck floor

Smirnoff Ice Zero Sugar Alcohol Content, Nzxt H1 Thermals, Land Based Snapper Fishing Perth, Design Thinking Is About Product Development, Adam Ondra Vs Alex Honnold, Bdo Tuvala Ring, Airbnb Singapore Apartment, How To Get Goats To Drink More Water,